Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
The Shared Hierarchical Academic Research Computing Network (SHARCNET) is a consortium of 19 Ontario colleges and universities providing researchers with support and access to high performance computers linked by advanced fibre optics. SHARCNET provides some of the most powerful High Performance Computing (HPC) infrastructure in Canada in support of academic research.
SHARCNET at Western also has responsibility for maintaining and operating the cloud and agile computing facilities of the Southern Ontario Smart Computing Innovation Platform (SOSCIP). SOSCIP's mission is to bring together industrial partners and academic researchers and provide them with sophisticated advanced computing technologies and expertise to solve social, technical and business challenges across sectors and drive economic growth.
The SOSCIP cloud analytics platform is a research cloud environment that provides access to a broad array of software tools for application development and data analytics which can be combined with user-specific and other open source software to create customized virtual machines to meet project demands. The cloud platform is ideal for complex data analysis, streaming and managing large data volumes, and data mining applications.
The HPC Applications Specialist will provide technical leadership and support to identified SOSCIP research projects that make use of the SOSCIP cloud and agile computing environments. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring that the software environment within the cloud is operational and available to project teams, creating pre-defined software environments (virtual machines) for research projects and ensuring new software is installed in a timely fashion and tested for interoperability with other software components. The Specialist will conduct a variety of engineering tasks related to the development, operation, and maintenance of complex technology systems, ensuring the integration of software, processes and methodologies to support the performance of the systems. The incumbent works closely with the SOSCIP Cloud administrators to ensure that virtual machines and containers used by project teams are reliable, efficient and maintained. The Specialist will provide advice and training on use of advanced software systems, computational algorithms and techniques. The incumbent works closely with SOSCIP project research groups in use of the cloud and its software and applications.
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Physics, Engineering or a related field
- PhD preferred
- 1 year of experience using data analytics, data mining, and machine learning systems (such as Map Reduce, Spark, Tensor Flow, Café)
- 1 year of experience in Linux system administration or software development and experience with different cloud or container frameworks (such as KVM, LibVirt, Docker, OpenStack, or Kubernetes)
- 1 year of computational experience using large scale parallel systems and accelerators (such as GPUs or FPGA)
- Experience working with version control software (such as git)
- Experience providing technical leadership for medium to large scale projects and with providing project coordination to a team
- 2 years of experience in UNIX/Linux system administration and experience with Red Hat system administration is preferred
- 2 years of experience with different cloud or container frameworks (such as KVM, LibVirt, Docker, OpenStack, or Kubernetes) is preferred
- Experience with cluster/MPI programming and/or parallelization techniques including expertise with debugging, profiling and optimizing large-scale parallel applications is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Familiarity with Ansible, Puppet, Chef, or similar configuration management tools
- Demonstrated knowledge of advanced data analytics, mining or machine learning systems
- Demonstrated knowledge of Unix system administration and of cloud computing environments
- Demonstrated knowledge of scripting language, such as Python
- Ability to write clear, concise procedural and technical documentation
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills to effectively interact with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to resolve problems and escalate issues with suggestions for further investigation and options for consideration as required
- Initiative to seek and share relevant information, opinions, and judgments
- Demonstrated exceptional organizational skills including ability to manage multiple competing priorities and the ability to adapt to emerging priorities, working to tight time lines with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated ability to research/investigate issues and resolve problems
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to establish and maintain relationships with peers, contacts with access to information, and key business partners
- Ability and willingness to stay abreast of technological development and adapt efficiently to emerging priorities and changing work methods
- Demonstrates awareness by providing client explanations for actions taken relative to customer requirements, needs, and industry trends
- Critical thinking and discernment to assess and scope areas for improvement and ability to offer creative solutions
- Ability to support change initiatives by following new directions as directed
- Demonstrates attention to detail and accuracy
- Proven ability to interact with people in a professional, respectful and diplomatic manner
- Developed presentation skills in both creating and presenting technical presentations to peers and clients on areas of expertise
- Demonstrates awareness by providing client explanations for actions taken relative to customer requirements, needs, and industry trends.
- Critical thinking and discernment to assess and scope areas for improvement.
- Ability to support change initiatives by following new directions as directed.
- Demonstrates attention to detail and accuracy
Interested applicants are asked to visit:
or phone 519-661-2194.
Exciting Opportunities for IT Professionals Join IT innovation in London, ON Are you an experienced IT professional – or perhaps a recent graduate – seeking new challenges and the opportunity to thrive in a creative, innovative and rapidly