Engineering project managers are in charge of supervising the development of complex projects while observing pre-determined conditions (cost, quality, safety, timelines).
Depending on their profile, they work in a variety of sectors, including manufacturing, civil engineering, computers and construction. They are responsible, for example, for managing dam construction, software development, road and building construction from A to Z.
These versatile engineers participate in defining the project’s specifications, planning its implementation and drawing up its budget.
Comfortable with both technical and financial aspects, they coordinate the work of the various participants involved (engineers, technicians, suppliers and subcontractors). They can intervene as required in technical matters. They make sure that development methods, timelines and costs are observed during each phase of the process. When they notice discrepancies, they notify the managers concerned and work with them to resolve the problem.
- Have an engineering diploma, with a specialization depending on the company’s sector of activity
- Be registered with their province’s professional engineering association for the right to practise as an engineer (P.Eng. or ing. in Quebec)
- Have technical skills in the area of expertise in question
- Be able to solve managerial, financial and business problems in relation to project management
- Be proficient in the use of computer tools like MS Project
- Bilingualism (French/English) for Quebec professionals
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Ability to adapt
- Communication skills